Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sweets Confession...

I have gone back and fourth about writing this post because I know that once I do I really need to commit to making some serious changes... I have got a really big diet/food/sugar problem, I would almost venture to say I have an addiction to sugar and junk food. I have never met a piece of candy I did not like and have very few fruits and vegetables that I do like.
Most people that know me would assume that I am exaggerating this because I don't have the body type of someone who eats nothing but sugar and junk food, but all I can do is thank my parents for my good genes because in reality I should weigh 400 pounds. I have been paying close attention to what I eat over the past week and there were two entire days where I did not have a single serving of fruits or vegetables. I don't drink enough water and no matter how many times I tell myself that coffee is made of water I don't think five cups of coffee is really the equivalent of five cups of water (especially once I add my sugary Coffee-mate to it)!
To give an example of how bad my problem is - I bought a tub (not just a bag, a TUB) of Valentine candy corn last week for Noah to have for potty treats (one per potty) however, Noah does not ask for treats any more after going potty and that tub of candy corn is gone... Big eye opener!!!!
The ridiculous part of all of this is that I LOVE to cook. I buy all organic foods. I make great healthy dinners most nights. I fix my kids healthy organic snacks and meals. However, I inhale jelly beans, potato chips, candy corn, ice cream and coffee like a Hoover all day long. I don't eat breakfast, I rarely eat lunch I just munch on junk all day and then feel like I am making up for it with a healthy dinner.
So not healthy...
We have been having struggles with the boys wanting to snack all day and then not eating at meal time and I have been so frustrated about this but in reality they are probably just doing what they see me do every day. How can I expect my kids to eat regular meals and healthy snacks when they have probably never seen their mother eat an apple or carrot???
I know that I can't deny myself everything that is sugary or not healthy because I do love food. I am not going to pass on Key Lime pie at Jake's or my mom's Kahlua brownies but I really need to learn to eat meals and to cut out all of the junk during the day. Sweets should be special treats eaten in moderation not part of my daily meal plan.
Before I sat down to write this I dumped all my candy stashes into the trash. Yes, I hide candy all over the house like alcoholic would hide vodka (just a little embarrassed to admit that)... I talked to Ryan about my problem because honestly he had no idea how much sugar and junk I really consume. I am going to make a conscious effort to eat at least three healthy meals a day and am committed to not buying any more candy to stash around the house like a crazy lady!

Wish me luck!!!

Goodbye Candy Corn!
Goodbye Chips!
Goodbye Jelly Belly's
And hello to some big changes around here!!!

p.s. I want to clarify that this is not a weight issue. I just want to be healthier and a good example for my kids!

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honestly, and as cliche as it sounds, admitting is the first step :-)) You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I can relate! I grew up with a mom who has the biggest sweet tooth and decided to instill in me a LOVE for anything with sugar (any coincidence that her name is also Candy??) I also have the same issues with snacking. I think it's carried over from pregnancy since you pretty much need to eat every hour! And now I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm not going to starve if I don't eat that handful of trail mix...
    I know you can do it!! You will be a good motivator to me as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um Kahlua brownies??? I want that recipe please.
    This is a hard one. I am like that too. If there is candy in the house I have this urge to finish it all. One thing I've started doing is eating about every 2-3 hours. Plan ahead your healthy snacks in between your meals. If you've planned it out then it's easier to stick to. I also pre-bag my portions for the day/week. (like I know I am going to take boiled eggs to work, so I boil them on Monday and bag them 2 to a baggie) Then I just grab and go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice- you are hilarious! I would have never guessed! You are so thin. Good luck! I feel your pain. I have a love for sweets too.

    ReplyDelete